The Coalition believes a universal healthy school food program will support the health, wellbeing, and education of all Canadian children.
Hosted by Food Secure Canada, the Coalition stands as the largest school food network in the country, comprising more than 260+ non-profit member organizations spread across all provinces and territories.
The Coalition’s vision is that of a Canada where every school-aged child and youth has daily access to a healthy meal or snack at school.
The Coalition’s mission
The Coalition aims to work with partners across Canada to:
- advocate for a universal cost-shared healthy Canada-wide school food program;
- strengthen commitments from provinces, territories, local governments, and school communities; and
- support the exchange and application of best practices across diverse school food programs.
Endorsement for the Coalition’s work
In addition to the Coalition’s member organizations, its vision is backed by over 120+ school boards, municipalities, health boards, and other government agencies and organizations.
The Coalition’s structure, built on democracy and participation
The Coalition offers a democratic and participatory structure that is informed by programs on the ground:
- Our structure is collaborative and grassroots-based; the Coalition leadership works to engage members and integrate their perspectives into the Coalition’s directions
- Our monthly Steering Committee meetings include representatives from each province and territory
- We host quarterly meetings to engage with and hear from members and we hold other members-meetings and public events for members to network, share info and best practices with each other, and learn about promising practices
- Our provincial and territorial Chapters, Collectifs, or Advisories self-organize to support local direction and engagement and work to increase their provincial and municipal government’s support and funding of school food programs
Learn more about the Coalition’s work and get involved.