Find here the Minister of Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard (Joyce Murray)’s mandate letter.
Priorities related to food systems in the letter:
- Continue to protect and restore our oceans and coasts and take steps to ensure we protect 30 percent of Canada’s oceans by 2030, including: expand the Coastal Restoration Fund, expand the Ghost Gear Program, support plastic clean-up, and launch next phase of Ocean Protection Plan
- Working in close collaboration with provinces and territories, Indigenous communities and industry, you will also continue to prioritize the growth of Canada’s blue economy to create opportunities for freshwater and ocean sectors and coastal communities, including:
- continued implementation of the modernized Fisheries Act
- implement the Pacific Salmon Strategy, make new investments and develop a conservation strategy to restore and rebuild wild Atlantic salmon populations and their habitats.
- advance consistent, sustainable and collaborative fisheries arrangements with Indigenous and non-Indigenous fish harvesters
- work with the province of British Columbia and Indigenous communities on a responsible plan to transition from open net-pen salmon farming in coastal British Columbia waters by 2025 and work to introduce Canada’s first-ever Aquaculture Act.
- Work with Indigenous partners to better integrate traditional knowledge into planning and policy decisions.